Jan 17, 2014

Whisper of the heart

Directed by  Yoshifumi Kondo
Produced by  Toshio Suzuki
Screanplay by  Hayao Miyazaki
Based on  Whisper of the heart by Aoi Hiiragi
Sudio  Studio Ghibli
Release  July 15, 1995

Shiho: Tidy up quickly and take that lunch box to Dad.
Shizuku: What?
Shiho: What do you mean by that tone? You're going to the library, right? Or shall I go instead? Then you can clean the toilet, the bathroom, and the entryway too, and go to the co-op for me. And take in the futons, do the shopping, and prepare dinner.
Shizuku: Goodbye!
Shizuku: I finally thought I was gonna get a little adventure around here.
Shizuku: Uh, thank you. But how did you get this?
Seiji: Take a wild guess.
Shizuku: That man, do you know him?
Yuko: Great Shizuku, master of writing, we shall make fun of you no more. Please grace us with your words.
You idiot! You are the one who's dense!
I used to be nice and friendly and a grade-A student. Now I just goof around reading books and writing stupid lyrics. Even reading books isn't as much fun as it used to be. Now when I read a little voice inside me says "Things never turn out like they do in fairy tales." I miss the old me.
I dream of living alone but fearless,
secret longing to be courageous,
loneliness kept bottle up inside,
just reveal your brave face they'll never know you lied.

Country road may lead me home,
know I belong there all on my own
destiny calls, motionless I stall,
no I can't go,
Country road.

No matter how dark the world's inside me
I'll never stop to show a tear that I've shed, but now
I have to walk so fast, running, sprinting to forget
what is lodged in my head.

Country road, may lead me home,
know I belong there all on my own
destiny calls, motionless I stall,
no I can't go,
Country road.

Country Road,
la la la la.
You're a good friend
I'll never know. Same tomorrow,
regret and sorrow,
can't take you home.
Country road.
Oh, I love to be a writer.
Mr. Nishi: Those crystals are called beryl. There are pieces of raw emerald deep inside them.
Shizuku: Aren't emeralds worth a lot of money?
Mr. Nishi: Sure. But they need to be cut and polished first. When you first become an artist, you are like that rock. You're in a raw, natural state with hidden gems inside. You have to dig down deep and find the emeralds tucked away inside you.
I was captivated by his expression. It was so sad and mysterious. So I begged the owner of the café to let me buy the Baron but he refused to sell it to me. He said the Baron had a female companion who was away for repairs. The two of them made such a beautiful couple he didn't think it was right to separate them. So I told him that as soon as the Baroness was repaired I'd buy them both.
Nobody knows this but Louise was the name of a woman I want to school with. She and I become very close and everyday we'd meet at the café to see if the Baroness had returned...

Shizuku: I'm no man's burden! I want to be of use! 
Seiji: Does this sound a little corny?
Shuzuku: It's a little corny, but you're a violin maker, not a writer.

2 comments:

  1. This looks AWESOME! Is it a Miyasazki film? You have the best taste in movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! Miyazaki only wrote it, but yes, it's of the Studio Ghibli. I love it so much.
      Oh thank you <3

      Delete

Feel free to leave a comment or send an email. I'm a huge chatterbox, this is true, but don't bite. I will be happy to respond and visit your own blog.